About Me

My photo
2 Girls, 2 Boys and a whole lot of noise.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sprinkle me with patience-My first blog
















I had an experience today that I felt was significant enough to warrant starting a blog of my own. I happily agreed to watch my friends 2 year old little girl today while she had some things to do thinking that Kaitlynn and her friend would play and I would get some things done and all would be great. My first mistake is believing that 2 year-olds play together. They seem to just play near each other and want the toy the other one has. Either way, they want to see what the other is up to so they stick together. As I am trying to put Cody to bed, the girls keep running in my room and wanting to see what I am doing. I shoo them out of the room with promises of a snack as soon as Cody falls asleep. They finally go downstairs and I hear arguing and Kaitlynn comes to tell me that her friend pushed her and etc etc. But then there are happy noises. Even - (can it be?) - giggling and laughing! They are finally having a good time and they are downstairs where I asked them to be. So take a few extra minutes to tidy up after Cody goes down and then head downstairs. I turn the corner to enter the lower living room and discover the most obnoxious mess. The girls have gotten the sprinkles out of the pantry and are shaking them out over my new rug. These tiny nighmares are all over the floor and everywhere. Her friend had a puddle of them in her dress, the girls' hands are colored, and then I see the colored dots in their hair. You have got to be kidding me. I just vaccuumed, of course, but that issue pales in comparison to what it takes to fix this mess. I scoop as many as I can from Kaitlynn's friend's dress and get them in the kitchen to wash up, give them a snack and send them outside. Then I pull out the vacuum and begin a futile attempt to clean the mess up. Those stupid dots are too light for the vacuum to really suck up and once I turn off the vacuum, I hear them all shuffle down the hose. Not-to-mention the fact that when you run the beater bar over them it shoots each sprinkle like a sling shot, so there are more further away in the rug than just ground zero. So I roll the rug up and take it outside. I look around and decide that the best place to shake it out is the trampoline. But that doesn't get all of them out so I flip onto the grass and kick it and bang it, but there are still beads flying everywhere. So I take it back inside. Now I get to vacuum grass up off of it as well and I am certain there are colorful sprinkles still embedded in the strings of the rug, and under the couches. Of course, there is a colorful array of sprinkles all over the trampoline and the back patio, so even if I got most of it out, they will be back. All of this made me realize that what my friends who have 2 year-olds say is true. I seriously don't know how they keep up with these kids. I completely understand now what they mean when they say they clean up one mess after the other. Kaitlynn is no angel, but she lacks the curiosity that other kids seem to have, so I can humbly say to those poor mothers at their whits end: "I finally get it."

7 comments:

Joni and Kevin said...

I read once that 'Cleaning your house while the kids are awake is like shoveling the walk while its still snowing'. Sounds like its snowing (or sprinkling) at your house today.

I'm so glad you started a blog. I am addidcted to mind and now I have one more to read.

I have to admit that the whole kids not playing together surprised me. It might be a girl thing because when Christian has friends over its so nice. They seem to entertain themselves. At least its something to look forward to with Cody right?

papanana said...

Oh no!, another Blogger in the Family :-)

Nice way to start out. As I laughed at the images of you fighting the Sprinkles and beginning to understand 2 year olds, I am reminded of an old 70's song. It wasn't about 2 year olds or even mothers. But, being an old fart and having been there and done that, the words ...."We've only just begun....to live." just popped into my head.

Have fun living and continue to share your experiences.

Love, Uncle Randy

ReeSe said...

Haha..this is great! Gotta love the 2 year olds. I agree w/ the 2 yr old thing, they play next to each other and fight over what the other one has. 3 is when they start to play awesome together (at least my girls). Can't wait to read other adventures of the Millers!

Anonymous said...

What a proud Mom moment I'm having since it was my curious 2 year old that created such a nightmare for you. Since I wasn't there to help you clean up the sprinkles, maybe I can buy you some new sprinkles. Or maybe you'd rather not see another sprinkle for a long, long time. You are a good friend. Thanks for not killing Paige today.

The Martin's said...

Ya!! I'm so glad you finally did this!! I love it!! And I feel for you on your brand new rug I would have cried. Seriously cried hard and for a long time so good for you to keep it together! Keep it updated because I check everyone I know everyday!!

Mel said...

That's exciting you started a blog! It's a pretty nice way to remember the daily experiences you have but much more fun than just writing it in your journal! That stinks about the sprinkles! I can totally relate...one time I was washing someone's hair out after highlighting it and I came out and Carson had dumped my bleach all over the floor! Fun stuff with these little kiddos! Good thing they're worth it!

Taylor Family said...

Love the story! We haven't had any sprinkles drama yet, but other similar stories. Glad you entered the blogging world, it's fun to keep up with people this way. I really am still wanting to get together, I just need to get on the ball. I'm planning to come to your ward's super Saturday with Cindy and Amanda, are you going?