About Me

My photo
2 Girls, 2 Boys and a whole lot of noise.

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

A Practical Gift Giver

Before I begin this story, I need to tell another story - I am a practical gift giver. I can't handle giving gifts that have no functional use. There was a party I attended where we were told to bring an item that tells about ourselves for a gift exchange. While other ladies brought candles and lotion and nail polish, I brought a package of sugar. I like to bake, I like sweet treats, and you know that anyone can use a package of sugar.
I can still see the look on the girl's face who got my gift. It said, "Thanks for being weird." You're welcome.

So with that I will tell this story...

I recently had a conundrum that I feel others can relate to. We've had a lot of houses sold on our street and I have wanted to welcome these new neighbors to our little corner of San Antonio. I made some banana bread and wanted to take it over to a neighbor but then I was swarmed by all these concerns of why this might not be well received. As I let these thoughts fester I came to the conclusion that there might be 15 reasons why a person might not take baked goods to the neighbor anymore. Here they are:

1. Maybe they won't like what I made.

2. Maybe they are on the Keto diet.

3. Maybe they are gluten-free.

4. Maybe they are worried that someone spit on this food item.

5. Maybe they want me to wear a mask when I bring it over.

6. Maybe they will think my mask is ugly.

7. Maybe they think I have Covid.

8. Maybe I have Covid.

9. Maybe they have Covid.

10. Maybe they distrust all strangers.

11. Maybe their doorbell doesn't work and when I leave it on the porch a bear comes to eat it and he is waiting out there for them the next time they open the door.

12. Maybe they are vegetarians.

13. Maybe they don't eat food.

14. Maybe they wonder if I have an unsanitary kitchen.

15. Maybe they wonder if it is the 1960's again - when people bring over baked goods to welcome them to the neighborhood.

So when all these reasons caused some serious self doubt about the delivery of baked goods, I decided to move forward with providing a welcome gift anyway. What do you think I did?

...wait...before I tell you, I want you to think about how wise this gift is. It's a hot commodity and it's incredibly useful. Just keep that in mind.

So what did I do?
We ate the banana bread and I brought them a pack of toilet paper as a house warming gift.

Welcome to Texas!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would have loved it if you had brought me banana bread. We just moved to Idaho and nobody has come over at all. 😭