About Me

My photo
2 Girls, 2 Boys and a whole lot of noise.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

When substitute teaching, keep an ace in your pocket

I really like middle schoolers. I don't know why. I think it is because I already know that they are liars so we are on an even playing field. Middle schoolers still like school for the most part and they are far enough from being adults that they don't quite feel like they are on the same level as an adult. Compare that to kindergarten. I feel like kindergarteners are too young to lie but they aren't. They are opportunists just like every other kid. I want to trust those innocent little faces but I can't. The meanest teachers are the ones with the most obedient classes and I hate being mean. Kinder is a losing situation for me.

Anyway, I got to sub at the Middle School nearby. I didn't realize this at first but when any student sees that there is a substitute, they immediately do something against the rules. If you are a friendly -looking substitute, then they won't make this rule breaking malicious. If you are not so friendly-looking then you will have to leave notes for the teacher like the one I read that stated, "I will never substitute for your class again. I am crying as I write this..."

So the first thing I was asked in this class was, "Are you going to leave after 10 minutes like the last sub?"
Me: Um, I wasn't planning on it.

I then knew that I needed to up my game.

It was in this middle school that I had a class of kids who were supposed to have a textbook open and be making some notes for a test. Easy assignment. I don't even care if they talk to their friends as they do this as long as they have the book out and are half-looking at it. However, I came across a group in the corner who was being a little rambunctious so I casually sauntered in their direction to see what was up. There was a kid who was obviously copying off another kid's paper.

Me: What are you doing?
Little liar: Oh, it's fine. My friend George* doesn't care.
Me: Hmmm...well I care. Why don't you get out a book and take your own notes?
Persistent Little liar: No really, it's fine. My friend doesn't mind.

Now up to this point I didn't want to have to do this but I was a little irritated that this kid wouldn't even try and that George didn't just take his paper back and keep working. So I had to pull out the big guns...

Me: Well, unfortunately, I know George's mom and I don't think she would like what is going on here.

The entire class stops to listen to this. Mouths drop and George turns bright red because up until this point neither one of us had acknowledged this fact. I felt that I needed to add a little more fire to the persistent little liar's flame so I lowered my voice so that only the corner group could hear and I said, "And I know where he lives. So why don't you give him that paper back and get out a book?"

George wanted to die. I am certain. I felt kind of bad for him. He took his paper back and pretended like this did not just happen.

The kids in the class didn't know whether to laugh at him or at me so after the shock wore off, they all went back to work. The persistent little liar never did end up taking his own notes but he didn't ask for anyone else's either.

And that is why I pray every morning before I go substitute (sometimes twice before Middle School or High School) because everyone needs a random ace in their pocket.

No comments: