About Me

My photo
2 Girls, 2 Boys and a whole lot of noise.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

My birthday

I have decided to take a minute and post about my least favorite day of the year...my birthday. It seems that every time we move, people ask you when your birthday is. I feel silly saying "well, it is the 9th of February but we don't celebrate it." People just think that I am getting old and that is why because "no one 'celebrates' their birthday after 29'. However, I have no issues with getting older (other than these funny age spots developing on my young face). My issue comes in with the day itself - and some years, the entire month. So here are my reasons why we don't celebrate.
1. My very first birthday my mom was already 2 months away from delivering my 1st nemesis, Amy.
2. After that I spend many years while this nemesis threw a fit every time my birthday came around because the attention was on her.
3. One year, I fell in the pool, which was covered in ice. (February in Idaho=cold.)
4. One year I left the garage open all night (accidentally, Dad) and we were robbed.
5. One year my mom bought my nemesis a whole new wardrobe the week before my birthday and she had to put my birthday present on Lay-away until April.
5. Our first year of marriage I told Jeremy not to do anything for my birthday because "I hate that day." I lied. (That wasn't a good year for anyone.)
6. Then 4 days before my 27th birthday, my sister, aka 'nemesis' died. (That girl spent her whole life trying to ruin 'my special day'. Now she has ruined it permanently.) I spent that year picking out her casket and burial spot. That was awesome. (sidebar: I sound kind of crude here. It is my dry sense of humor and my life experiences that have made me more of a realist with this. This was actually a very difficult time for all of us but I know that although we miss her a lot, she is perfectly happy and fine.)
7. Last year, I got a call from the hospital saying that there was a lump on my thyroid and that we needed more tests. (This was from a procedure I had done 7 months prior to this - they finally got around to the test results.) I spent the next 3 months trying to prove that it wasn't cancer.

February is just an "Ugh!" month for me. So this year all my new friends on Guam were/are struggling to come to terms with this lack of celebration because that is all we do here - celebrate everything. So this year my creative friend, Sharlae, brought me this:
I loved it.
 
I also did my absolute favorite thing to do, too...my taxes.
(I am not exaggerating about this either. I actually got certified to be a volunteer at an IRS-run tax center on base. I work there 2 days a week and other than the hostile, about-to-divorce couple I helped, it has been awesome.)
To make sure I wasn't a complete nerd, I went on an early morning Scuba dive too.
That's me.
 
So that is my story of why February 10th is my favorite day of the year.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I love that you are blogging so much more!